October 20, 2006

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my BEST-est Friend !!

I had heard of HER much before I had actually seen or met her, and when I saw her for the first time, SHE exactly fitted into the picture I had of her in my mind. She was one of the 'three musketeers' of the PATHFINDER process of our organisation in the pilot phase when it had just come in, way back in February 2003. Monica-the girl with the most voluptious figure that I've had ever seen, was the proud owner of a scooty and she was more than happy to accomodate Radha-the cute, tiny one and 'OUR GIRL'-the tall, slender one with a beautiful oriental face, and nice straight long hair. SHE was one of the most elegant girls in the whole process.

WE had never interacted so much with each other till about the first six months or more of my being in the organisation, as 'we' were both in different teams and had never been formally introduced to each other. But we did exchange 'hello's and smiles when sometimes my ex-BF (who used to work in the same organisation) talked to her for a super-short duration during our tea-breaks or dinner-breaks. They had both joinned the organisation at almost the same time and I had joinned in a batch later. During those short-stop hellos, one thing that I always noticed about THIS GIRL was her bright, genuine smile that came in straight from her heart, lighting up her face, shining right through her 'spectacled' small twinkling eyes.... a smile that was so contagious, it could lift up any damned soul... and I often wondered if she ever had any problems in her life, or for that matter, if she ever took life seriously at all. I would imagine that she might have been the only child of very rich parents, never having to think twice about anything she wanted in life. Otherwise, how else can anyone be so happy all the time?! Sometimes, when I'd be brooding, complaining, sulking or engaged in an argument with my BF in the office and she happened to pass by us, he would ask me teasingly why I could not be like HER... so simple, ever smiling, no complaints or worries in life whatsoever! to which I would think, believe and curtly reply, "Maybe she doesn't have a boyfriend... like you!"

Time passed by and after about six-months in 'Pathfinder', I was put into a new process- WTS SELECT in the pilot batch, with another 20 odd colleagues, all thrown in from different teams of PF. And after a few more weeks, some more people came in to join us in WTS, 'our girl' included. Those days, I never used to interact much with any of my colleagues in the new process, as we had all come in from different teams and did not know each other much. I preferred to stick around with the BF in all my breaks. But slowly with time, I started bonding well with two girls in the team (Priya and Kalpana) and 'she' too developed a strong friendship with one of the other girls (Divya), who had been her batchmate from their initial days in Pathfinder.With some more time, we had a change of team-leaders, seating arrangements and our friends too. The BF changed his job and left the organisation, shifting base to another city. Both of my two fast-friends got married one after the other and seemed to bond better sans me, with their 'post-marriage' conversations. HER friend too got married and left the country. And destiny made 'both of us' sit next to each other at adjacent work-stations and have our lunch and dinner breaks together. In day to day casual conversations between our work, we discovered our common interests in books, fashion, cosmetics and some other philosohies in life and slowly we started taking all our breaks together at office. We even started meeting up on weekends for shopping and then started staying back at each other's places overnight, depending on which markets we were covering that weekend. I don't exactly remember when or how, but we 'clicked'. And from that time onwards, started a journey of our friendship that was never to end... and we became almost inseperable.

Beneath her ever-smiling face, I discovered her serious side. She was not at all the frivolous girl that I had imagined her to be. Although she was a few months younger to me in age, she was wiser and more matured. I would often turn to her for advice as I had full trust in all her decisions. I realised that she too have had her share of difficulties in life, that too at a very tender age, which had helped her be the person that she is today. Unlike her looks, she was very strong from within, and she was the ONE PERSON who stood by me in the darkest period of my life, helping me nurse a broken heart and recover faster than I would have otherwise had. She was the one person who you could trust to be at her coolest even at the most crucial of situations, and I grew habituated to her calming me down with her wise soothing words whenever I was stuck up in any kind of mess. She would tell me how she had once been of an impulsive headstrong nature and would react to situations just like ME (I was infamous for my hot-headedness). But with time and experience, she had learnt to deal with situations better in a calmer manner without losing her head over it. THIS GIRL with the wisdom of the sages also had the simplicity, straightforwardness and innocence of a child. She had the dreams of a little girl, no different than those of yours or mine. She loved to be pampered and spoilt and could be quite a brat at times. But you could never hate her for that. Infact, you could never hate her for anything at all. She is wise, smart, tactful, honest, polite and innocent all at the same time and can easily get away calling a spade A SPADE, sealed with her sweetest smile.

Somewhere down the line, we discovered that my mother-tongue (assamese) and her native-dialect (nagamese) were quite similar to each other. So, we would often communicate in either assamese or nagamese, especially in cases when we would want to close in from the rest of the world. I remember the many occasions when she would show her freakier side... We would sit at the 'smoking-zone' of our office building for hours, ME being the active-smoker and SHE being the passive one... scrutinising, commenting and forming an opinion on every passing being, thereby. We would gossip, bitch, discuss and practically 'live' in the smoking-zone area, especially on those sunny winter afternoons, as there was not much work in the process, leaving us with ample idle time. But once in a while, SHE would really get annoyed about every smoker's cigarette-smoke passing in right through her sparkling-clean fragrant hair, making it smell of cigarettes, which she would happily forget in even less than a minute's time, if you knew how to indulge her in one of her favourite topics of conversation... it was just THAT SIMPLE. (...and no prizes for guessing WHO had developed the expertise in that kind of creative conversations). We would 'share' both our lunches and dinners at the office cafeteria, shelling out only ONE single coupon for each meal between the two of us. This 'sharing of meals' is NOT ALLOWED, but we would still do it on the sly, justifying the case for the little amount of food we would both eat combined. It was too rib-tickling funny to watch her bargain with a sarojini-nagar-market (one of our favourite street-shopping-haunts) shop-hawker or with an auto-rickshaw driver. She has an even crazier hold in HINDI, much worse than that of mine, and I am actually better off to recognise and correct the mistakes in her hindi-grammar and accent. Another thing which made her absolutely lose her cool was when her credit-card-company people called her up, addressing her with a MR. before her name. If present at the scene, you could actually see those flames and fumes coming out of her red-ears and that little shiny nose. She always dressed on her own terms, as she did everything else. Once, we were asked to follow a tri-color ethnic dress-code theme to the work-place on some special-occasion day. Any guesses what she might have turned up in? What else than her 'maroon' codroy-pants and an equally contrast shirt?! But one thing about her dressing is that no matter what she wore, she could carry it off with an absolute grace, being the hard-core libran that she is...

She is the ONE GIRL I know, who is utterly stylish and has a great sense of fashion... and nothing fascinates her more than shopping, and reading fashion magazines... and/or the combination of both. She can actually go on shopping till she zeros her bank balance and then start on with her credit-cards one after the other or finally drops down dead out of tiredness. Before that, she wouldn't just stop. On so many instances of our shopping together, I literally have had to drag her away from buying something horrendously expensive which I knew she wouldn't even bother wearing once, after it reaches home. There were so many times when we would go shopping and come back dead-tired, only to glug down bottles of chilled-beer and just talk silly, covering everything from job-dissatisfaction, work-politics, ex-bfs, failed relationships, future plans, more shopping plans and everything else under the sun... oops! under the moon, actually... We would not know when in the midst of those senseless conversations (which made the most sense to both of us then), we would both fall asleep next to each other, with tear-filled eyes and beer-filled guts...

On the bullier side, you would want to think twice before taking her too lightly, by the looks of her lean, fragile frame. She was once being bullied by the two (well-built) sisters who shared a room next to hers in the same building. She took it all silently for over two months, and the day she left that place to move into a new place, well! ASK THOSE SISTERS !!

In due course of time, our process WTS went back and we were both sent to different processes, with obvious changes in our weekly offs and shift-timings. But we still managed to keep in constant touch and would visit each other at every possible opportunity, keeping alive our age-old tradition of shopping, beer-glugging, pork/pizza treats and more importantly, exchanging our latest novels, girlie-gossips and beauty-tips.

We have never ever been pretentious with each other. With us, what you see is what you get. We both know each other in and out and have accepted each other inspite of our individual faults and short-comings. Its not that we always think alike and never have differences. We do. But we have never had any of our differences come in the way of our friendship. I shamelessly invite myself to her place for those innumerable treats of naga-style pork-curry-rice and the ad-on side dishes which I relish so much, and she would watch me hog those sinful mouth-watering, fat-filled, calorie-filled pork dishes, reminding me of my modelling-diet-regime. On her part, she would shamelessly remind me every year, of her (upcoming) birthday long before its even due, dropping obvious hints at the much awaited 'gift' that would bring an instant sparkle to those already twinkling eyes...

Well, this friend of mine-WATINARO AIER (NARO-as everyone lovingly calls her) would be leaving for her hometown (nagaland) for good, in a couple of weeks from now and as she was going through her 'full and final' formalities on her last day in the organisation, I couldn't help but think over our 'past' times together in the organisation and how we had become such good friends in due course of time. I somehow felt very lost and alone (as if a part of me was going to be lost forever), as we spent the day reliving most of our break-times in the old 'smoking-zone-area' and at the cafeteria 'illegally' sharing our last meal at the office, together...

TODAY is special because its her BIRTHDAY. And on this day, if I were to make a wish, it would surely be to continue being HER FRIEND all throughout OUR lives and getting HER as my friend in all the future lives, if WE were to be born again. This write-up is not an adieu-note but only a 'thank-you' to YOU my friend, for being the best-est person I have ever had as a friend and just to let you know that I'll miss you a lot when you'd be gone.

Many happy returns of the day, girl!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never seen anyone who writes a bday post like this..it's so nice..Happy birthday to ur friend..

Minal said...

Wow its wonderful to have such a friend.

Wishes to her

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Gangadhar: Thanks dude!

Minal: Yes,I'm lucky to have a friend like her.