October 13, 2006

OH, WHAT A WEEKEND !

What do you do when you reach a saturation point? When everything happening to you or around you fails to interest you anymore? When you feel you just can't take in anymore of the daily routine? You are mentally tired... so much that your brain has finally stopped taking sane decisions...You are bored of everything- the same work... the same faces... and you don't enjoy living any more... Then, maybe this is a good hint that you badly need a vacation. Maybe this is the time you need to pick up a few essentials in your duffel bag and just GO...

That's what happened to me. After great restlessness and sleeplessness on Thursday night and Friday, I finally decided that I HAD TO take off for somewhere to spend the weekend in total solitude, away from the mad-rush of the city. A quick net-surf strongly hinted that no other place could be better than RISHIKESH--not so far off and just an ideal getaway for the weekend, a land which promised ultimate peace and nirvana...

The travel-guides said that it would take around 51/2 hours by road, so I took a rough estimate of around 7 hours, taking a buffer-time of 1 and a 1/2 hours, considering the flexibilty of Indian Standard Time. I stayed awake on Friday night, packing (I had a very light luggage this time for a change), chatting up on the phone and watching TV, as I feared that if I fall asleep no alarm clock would be able to wake me up on time. I showered, got ready, said a little prayer and waited for the dawn to break. Finally, I caught an auto to the ISBT bus terminal and boarded a bus for Rishikesh at around 6am. As the bus took off, I fell into a deep sleep covering up my loss of the last two-nights sleep, waking up only at a couple of intervals when the bus halted for short breaks. Finally, we were at Rishikesh a little after 12 noon.

I took a share-based auto-rickshaw to 'Laxman Jhula', as I had read that this was a more 'happening' part of the town for weekenders not wanting just a totally 'spiritual-break'. After paying the fare of Rs.8 (mind you, that's the maximum fare within the farthest ends of the town), I noticed a 'Rooms are available' board in one of the guest-houses, very near to the main-market area of Laxman Jhula. I checked in to one of the basic but clean rooms which costed me a measly Rs.150 till 12 noon of the next day, which was the strict check-out time. After freshening up, I set out to see around the place. I walked down towards the Laxman-Jhula--a point where Lord Ram's brother Laxman is believed to have crossed the river Ganga on a jute rope, but today, it is just another suspension bridge with devotees on foot, motorbikes and scooters affording an easier crossing. On the way to the 'jhula' at the northern end, the area is quite noisy with hawkers vieing with each other, attracting customers to their individual stalls. You can find anything from religious goods (like religious books, comics, audio-cassettes, incense and sandalwood sticks and small deity-idols, etc), imitation jewellery(including mangal-sutras, rudraksh and other stone malas,etc), clothing (kulu-topis, nehru-jackets, kurtas, salwar-kameezes, etc), fruits, eatables and even small packets of sugar-dough-balls (to feed the fish) and packs of dry-chickpeas(to feed the monkeys, while crossing the 'jhula'. In those narrow lanes, I bought a few packs of the fish and the monkey feed, and a few packets of 'prasaad' to be offered to the Gods. Just on crossing the Laxman-Jhula, there are two-colourful 13-storey temples--'Swarg Niwas' on the right and 'Shri Tryambakeshwar' on the left. And an ancient 'Hanuman Temple' in between the two. There were several other temples all around in a row, but after visiting these three, I felt the need to put an end to any more temple-visits, and discover more of the place, instead. I crossed back the 'jhula' to reach the starting-point and walked down to the clean sandy beach lining the river. Sitting there by the beach, I dwelved into the cacophony of the temple-bells-chimes, the faint strains of classical music from the nearby stalls and of the noises of the people around, mixed with a heady smell of the fresh river-water and the incense-sticks from the nearby stalls and temples. Sitting on the banks for sometime, watching the peaceful 'Ganga' flow her way down slowly but steadily, I walked up to the 'German Bakery Cafe' just a few steps away, for a quick snack and some tea. The view from there was even better, and still better than that was the amazingly tasty eats the cafe provided at such moderate prices.

Rishikesh is strictly vegetarian and you cannot carry or expect to find any non-veg or alcohol in the whole town, but being a strict vegan on saturdays, it suited me fine. Due to the constant rush of foreign-tourists, the restaurateurs have learnt to be innovative with their dishes. I ordered for a glass of 'ayurvedic-tea' with honey, alongwith a delicious grilled 'vegetable' sandwich filled heartily with their universally acclaimed homemade goat-cheese.

Once satisfied with my meal, I started off for the 'Ram Jhula' again on a shared-based auto, which costed me Rs. 3 this time. On getting down there near the 'jhula', I took a longer route, walking my way through the closely-strewn huts and ashrams and reached the impressive 'Ram-Jhula', swaying a little with the strong wind above the swirling Ganga. It was a very 'moving' experience to just stand in the centre of this 'jhula', feeding the dough-balls to the fishes in the river below. The 'Ram-Jhula' connects 'Shivanand Ashram' on the east bank with 'Swargashram' on the west. I kept walking further on after crossing the 'jhula' and reached a narrow-lane full of stalls very similar to those near the 'Laxman Jhula' area. Here, I spent some time picking up small Ganesh-ji idols, Shivlings, sandalwood pieces, dried amla and ginger packs and a few fruits that I had never seen before. As I moved my way ahead, I came across a place called the 'Parmaarth Niketan'-an ashram trust, which organises 'Gangaji-ki-arti' every evening around sunset, hymns sung in unison by adolescent sanskrit students, dressed in saffron-coloured robes. I walked in following the sweet musical hymn and just within a few minutes the place was swarming with devotees-both Indian and foreigners. The group of students were seated at the stairs of the ashram, overlooking the huge image of Lord Shiva in spotless white marble, seated in padmasan in a deep meditation poise, right in the middle of the flowing Ganga, the deep orange sun setting behind Him. Just on the banks was a 'yagya' (an oblation) going on and the melodious sanskrit hymns by the students and the devotees, singing and swaying in unison to the prayer, made it an experience of the most beautiful form of (mass) prayer I had ever witnessed. This 'aarti' lasted for around 2 1/2 hours, after which most of the devotees offered beautiful flowers, incense-sticks and lighted-diyas in leaf-caskets to the river Ganga as their offerings to Her. Those few hours at the 'Parmaarth Niketan' ganga-aarti brought such peace and tranquility to my mind that I felt 'purified' right upto my soul. My mind was totally blank and at peace, an absolute high without the influence of even a single bit of nicotine. At the end of the 'aarti' and the offerings to the Ganges, a few lighted diyas in stands were passed around and most of the devotees took the warmth of these lighted lamps as a form of the God's blessings.

After the 'aarti' most of the devotees were found rushing to the 'Chotiwala' restaurant at the eastern end, to grab some dinner. Here they serve both north and south indian and also chinese food, but their 'thali' is the most famous of all. By the time I reached 'Chotiwala', both the restaurants (run by the two brothers) were full and had a long queue of customers in waiting. And as all the nearby food-stalls selling 'indian' food were also occupied, I found the 'Green Italian Food' restaurant near 'Swargashram', fairly vacant and quickly grabbed a seat. I was a little doubtful of the kind of 'italian-food' they'd come up with, looking at the so-affordable price menu, but the delicious spinach-cheese lasagna along with the huge slice of tiramisu which left my taste-buds craving for more even after I was full to the brim, at just Rs.125, could have put any great Italian restaurants in Delhi to shame both cost-wise and taste-wise.

After dinner, I hopped into a shared-autorickshaw again back to my hotel-room and as the rickshaw driver dropped me right infront of the hotel, instead of the usual auto-stand nearby in the market, he shyly asked me for 10 bucks for the 'special' service and applicable night-fare-cahrges. I got back to my room and fell into a deep slumber, quite early to my normal sleep-time standards. The night was cold as it had rained, and the blanket provided by the hotel was put to full use.

I was woken up at around 6am on the 'divine' sunday morning, to the chaos of the vibrant Rishikesh atmosphere--the constant chime of the temple bells, the smell of incense-induced air and the rays of the lazy sun creeping in through the hotel-room windows, the faint hymns of the Gayatri-mantra and other religious slokas, foreigners walking down the road in saffron 'hare rama-hare krishna' kurtas, everything was utterly purifying and woke me up fresh after a good night's sleep. I took a shower and went down to the bathing ghats of the Laxman-jhula, only to find the 'sandhus' bathing in the river and the prayer-flags fluttering on the river-banks. As it was not a very pleasant view, I trekked a few kilometres uphill on the straight road and in through the lanes and was amazed to feel so much at peace and one with nature even in the midst of a town bustling with people. I walked back to my hotel room and checked out at about 12 noon and went down to the 'German-Bakery' Cafe for a lazy sunday brunch. I occupied my favourite seat overlooking the 'laxman-jhula' with its temples and the bathing ghats, and as I was basking in the view, enjoying my delicious brunch, I was joinned in by a gentleman in his late 40s-David, from NY city-a professor in religious teachings, who is a follower of Swami Paramahansa, and he visits India every year with his troops of 'firang-students'. As we shared a few general whereabouts over our brunch at the same table in the cafe, David gave me an overall idea of the 'Glasshouse on the Ganges' where he and his troop had put up. Though he said it is a little expensive, but the huge volume discounts that they get due to their regular visits, it works out to be pretty reasonable for them. This place is a heritage property from the 'Neemrana' stable, set in a lychee orchard, with tropical gardens full of rare birds and butterflies, on the Rishikesh-Badrinath road. From David's naration, it seemed to be a totally different world secluded from the main Rishikesh town and I promised myself to visit it the next time I landed up there again. In the midst of our conversation, we were joined in by an Italian lady and an Englishman and our conversation got rather varied yet interesting, exchanging meditation-techniques, places to visit in India, local food, weather and the approaching festival-of-lights.

At around 2 pm, I bade farewell to my new-found friends and came down to the 'Triveni-ghats' at Rishikesh, very near to the bus-terminal from where I was to board a bus back. It is believed that if you took a dip in the Ganga at this ghat, it purifies you in and out as the waters here have soul-purifying powers. There were proper changing facilities after you took a dip and it was a really great feeling to let the chilly flowing waters of the Ganga, wash you clean under the hot afternoon sun.

I sat there on the banks for some more time after the 'holy' dip and change, and then took a bus which brought me back to the city where I live... back to my routine life, but with a fresh mind, a relaxed body, a clean soul and a weekend of pure 'Nirvana'...

13 comments:

anumita said...

And I hope the break has served its purpose and done you good!

Anonymous said...

Just bumped into ur page . I have been to this place too , very nice place . So wht do u do ??

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Saurabhi: Hey girl, don't worry. You have a more important priority right now. Complete that and then you'll have a lot of time to do crazy things like me..

Anumita: Yes! The break was a much needed one and done wonders to my mental and physical well-being.

Rishi: Thanks for coming by. I work in a BPO by profession but otherwise I have loads of varied interests. The list of WHAT I DO is absolutely endless. What about U?

Anonymous said...

I am an engg by profession , but i work in a private equity firm ..which has little to do wid my engg degree .
My Interests unlike ya are not endless ,but i do enjoy travellin( i think i share this interest wid u :) ) , plus reading a good book .. movies and all ..

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Rishi: You sound like someone I know with a different name. Anyway, I'm a bigtime movie fan and also love reading. See,I told you...Where r u based?

Anonymous said...

Rishikesh is a gr8 place...my in laws live in Haridwar

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Sherriff: I agree, Rishikesh is really awesome. Next time I'll visit Haridwar too not for any religious purpose but to get some pure ayurvedic stuff. No new posts??

Minal said...

Wow Priyanka you seem to have had a refreshing week end. Was missing your comments :) Had sent you a mail on your yahoo id. Am off to Lucknow for Diwali.

Wishing you loads and loads of happiness and love.

Anonymous said...

hmm . whom do i sound like . hope its a compliment . i am based in delhi. my work takes me to gurgaon thoug . wanna continue.? if yes ?. tell me abt you :-)

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Minal: Yes, I did have a refreshing weekend. Was tied up this week so didnt do much surfing. Have a great time at Lucknow.

Rishi: To know me, all you have to do is take out some real good time and read my blogs. You'll come to know all aspects of my life and characteristics. Why don't you start up your blog too?

Saurabhi said...

Babes now that is really nice..I am happy that U enjoyed ur trip..and most importantly u came back safe! hey n I also wanna join u the next time u go!

Anonymous said...

Really interesting travelong; thanks! I've never been to Rishikesh, and I'd like to see it someday.

But..."strict vegan on saturdays" and you ate cheese?! :-)

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Ladona: Hey, I thought cheese and any milk product is vegetarian. Show me some light....