February 01, 2008

The SUN and the SEA beckons

The cold-waves doing their rounds in making Delhi winters chillier than ever; the lazy sleepy sun who seems to peep out of the sky not out of willingness but as an obligation to mark its daily attendance; loading yourself with layers of thick woollens making your 'to-die-for' figure and 'sense of style' sink rapidly below zero-level (no, those hot micro-minis with leggings and pointy-boots don't keep you warm enough); the zest to go out and do so many things that could have been done during the whole day only if you could've managed to drag yourself out of that cozy mink blanket in the morning; the same old boring job; the same ol' faces that you see day in and day out; the urgency to invest your hard-earned money into all kinds of tax-saving plans and policies; the oh-so-irresistable 'end-of-winter-sale' all over the city when you feel like buying everything but cannot (remember? those bonds, insurance policies and provident-funds to secure your future); all your dearest friends either on a long vacation or just caught up with their share of mundane jobs... just name it and believe me, just about anything can be reason enough for me to hate the winters. I am anything but a winter person. The winters depress me to no end and I'm at my gloomiest, moodiest and crankiest best (read worst). I generally try to retain my saneness by escaping to the seaside and soaking in some sun to rejuvenate myself in the winters. But unfortunately, I could not manage to escape to Goa (my favourite destination) for this last Christmas and New Year's. So you can imagine, I have been at my snappiest best at the slightest of provocation, to anyone who had dared to try any of their wisecracks anywhere around my close proximity.
After shouting at the office-transporters for their consistent inefficiency, snapping at about 50% of my colleagues from the team and then profusely apologising for being rude to them for no reasonable reason, first trying to convince my boss then confusing him to the extent of him approving 10 days of paid leaves for me (of-course with sufficient amount of emotional drama and also managing to shed a few crocodile tears... a la Bollywood ishtyle), giving the office tax-consultant a piece of mind for wrong tax-deduction from my salary, and being enquired by a third guy-friend if I am about to have my periods for such foul mood-swings, I am finally leaving for my favourite destination tomorrow early morning to get myself plenty of fresh coastal air, to catch on a lovely tan and to devour my favourite sea-food-cusines and to get sloshed with all those intoxicating port-wines. A week of carefree hippie-life with no connectivity with the rest of the world... a time when I can paint myself all over with the exquisite colours of the carnival... to be with people who are complete strangers but ones who make me feel I belong. For only by doing so, I know, I will be at peace with myself. My beloved beckons and I have to go... for old times' sake... for heavens' sake... and for everybody elses' sake. Amen!

11 comments:

Djinn said...

Lucky you! Soak in some sun and some extra bottles of wine on my behalf as well. I was all set for Andaman's but my darn leave got cancelled at last minute.
Hasta la vista! and have a safe journey.

naanosphere said...

I can imagine all the fun u must be having soaking up all the sun... surfing... beering....! whooof!

naanosphere said...

http://naanosphere.blogspot.com/2007/11/delhi-times-part-i.html

link to part I, but u have read & also commented on it...nevertheless!

Pinku said...

hi!

spotted u on Minal's blog and since u are a namesake thought should check out your's too.

I love delhi winters and was in fact in bombay till sept and almost rushed back to delhi so as to not miss the winter here...but must say the picture you painted of Goa makes me almost succumb to its charms!!!!!!!

Hope you have a gr8 trip!!!

Pinku said...

hi!

spotted u on Minal's blog and since u are a namesake thought should check out your's too.

I love delhi winters and was in fact in bombay till sept and almost rushed back to delhi so as to not miss the winter here...but must say the picture you painted of Goa makes me almost succumb to its charms!!!!!!!

Hope you have a gr8 trip!!!

Ze Team said...

Mooooooooaaaaan.

That was the sound of my longing for the beaches.

Saw your post on the movies you saw last year. Quite a number you stacked there, eh?

Oh well, tell me how it was and I shall now go back to my self-induced misery (read: work).

Layon said...

Delhi to Goa...bohut dur hoi dekhun

peep said...

hey i like ur style of writing... nice flow :)

Stone said...

Very nice post!

Hope you had great time there.

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

DJINN: Andamans is just paradise and unspoilt. But u need a good couple of days in hand.

NAAN: Girl, I was so missing our girlie trip to Daman. I had good fun.

PINKU: Hey girl, if u havn't visited Goa yet, u r really missing something....

COLD SAKE: Don't mooooooooaaaaan, girl. Just get going... Btw, u r an amazing writer.

LAYON: Yeah, its far. But then, anything to get there. Just can't get enuf of that place.

PEEP: Thanks for coming by and liking it. Cheerio!

STONE: Hey, long time. Yes, I did have a really great time.

Pinku said...

hi!

thanks for your comments on my blog....and from them I gather you are back from the beach...hope u had a lovely time..

Looking forward to an escapede post soon ;)